Mula kay Bernard Ong:
This is another line of defense in the ICC mass murder probe versus Duterte.
Duterte himself said there are massacres going on in all parts of Asia. His followers echo the same line and ask why others who are killing or raping elsewhere are not being investigated.
The answer is simple:
1. Philippines is signatory to Rome Statute. We are covered by ICC.
2. Complaint was filed by Atty Jude Sabio alleging state-orchestrated mass murder in the Philippines.
3. This was supported with ample evidence.
4. Local institutions (courts, senate committee) have failed to impartially investigate the killings.
5. ICC is duty-bound to investigate such complaints.
Therefore ICC is not picking on Duterte. It is merely doing its job. If our courts & legislators did theirs, an ICC investigation would not be needed.
WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS?
If you have evidence-based claims against other state officials committing crimes against humanity in other countries that are covered by ICC, then you can file your complaint with ICC.
Anybody can be like Atty Jude Sabio.
In fact, ICC has investigated, indicted and even convicted other tyrants and warlords for the same crimes alleged against Duterte.
This ‘other evils’ excuse is a version of ‘whataboutism‘ where an alleged wrong is deflected by raising another issue.
Example: Instead of addressing the EJK issue, fanatic says “What about Mamasapano?”
Unfortunately for mass murderers and their fans, deflection won’t work with ICC prosecutors.
One wrong does not absolve another. Jail them all. But ICC can only act on substantial evidence-based complaints – like the one that Duterte now has to answer head on.